An experience for the culturally curious.
Piano Insiders gives you a glimpse inside the artistic world of the NJSO. As an Insider, you’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into bringing great piano repertoire and artists to the stage.
Steinway & Sons Factory Tour and Private Recital at Steinway Hall
Mon, May 15
Bus departs Newark at 8 am for a 10 am tour
Join the NJSO for a one-of-a kind Steinway & Sons NYC experience! Our day will include a visit to the Steinway factory in Astoria, where skilled artisans build Steinway pianos by hand. Discover the fascinating process of how the Steinway piano’s incomparable sound is achieved and how the Steinway family is responsible for developing the modern piano into what it is today.
You’ll also enjoy a visit to Steinway Hall in midtown, where you’ll tour the new flagship gallery space and be treated to a reception. James Barron, New York Times journalist and author of Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand, will lead a presentation for our guests, and the highlight of our day will be a private recital by pianist Terrence Wilson (pictured).
Steinway Tour Passes—$200 each
Includes round-trip transportation from Newark, factory tour, gallery tour and recital, lunch and gratuities.
Steinway Tour Details
Please note the following conditions and restrictions for tour participants:
- The factory is large and the tour covers a significant area. Participants must be able to stand and walk for 1 hour, including 3–4 flights of stairs.
- There is no seating or rest areas available on the shop floor.
- Canes, walkers and wheelchairs are not permitted on the tour.
- Individuals with pacemakers or similar devices will not be allowed on the tour. (Factory equipment may interfere with the device.)
- Tour participants will be exposed to dust and chemical odors.
- Photos and videos are not allowed in the factory.
- Children under the age of 16 are not permitted on the factory tour.
Contact Renee Pachucki by May 10 at 973.735.1722 or [email protected] for information and orders.