Making history through new music.
O for a Muse of Fire by Darryl Kubian
World Premiere, March 19–22, 2015
In its 2014–15 season, the NJSO commissioned a new work from composer and NJSO violinist Darryl Kubian. Inspired by Shakespeare’s Henry V, Kubian’s O for a Muse of Fire featured vocalist Mary Fahl on a program conducted by Music Director Jacques Lacombe. This work was the culmination of the NJSO’s New Jersey Roots Project, which has showcased works by composers whose time in the Garden State has significantly influenced their artistic identity.
The premiere of this composition offered patrons an exciting opportunity to participate in the NJSO’s Sound Investment program, a special fundraising initiative. This is the fourth time since 2000–01 that individuals have had the chance to support new music and become part of the composer’s creative process. Those who participated enjoyed exclusive benefits.
Commissioner Benefits—Each $250 share included:
- Credit as a Commissioner on the title page of the score
- A copy of the score, signed by the composer
- An invitation for two to attend “An Evening with the Composer,” a gathering featuring the composer speaking about his creative process
- An invitation for two to attend the Dress Rehearsal and Talk-Back with the Composer and Music Director
- An invitation for two to attend the World-Premiere Reception
- Discounted tickets to any of the world-premiere performances
Click here to learn more about vocalist Mary Fahl
Past Sound Investment Commissions
2000–01: Thomas Oboe Lee, Flauta Carioca
2002–03: Derek Bermel, Slides
2004–05: Stewart Goodyear, Caribbiana