Section Bass Audition
Deadline to Apply: On or before December 18, 2023
- Preliminary Rounds: Monday, January 22, 2024 and Tuesday, January 23, 2024
- Semi-Final Round: Wednesday, January 24, 2024
- Final Round: Thursday, January 25, 2024
All rounds will be held at New Jersey Performing Arts Center: 1 Center St, Newark, NJ 07102
Dates of Employment
Employment will begin as soon as the winner’s availability and the New Jersey Symphony schedule allow.
Applicants must submit two versions of your resumé as detailed below. Please submit both versions by uploading each as instructed on the application link below.
- A one-page resumé which includes your contact info (name, email address, physical address and phone number), as well as relevant work experience and education, including dates.
- A second version of your resumé with your name, email address, physical address and phone number removed. This redacted version is given to the Audition Committee for screening purposes.
Download the Audition List and Excerpt Packet
Please Note the Following:
- Audition invitations are sent by email, typically within ten days after the resumé deadline.
- Please await confirmation of your audition before making travel plans.
- Candidates must show a photo ID upon check-in at the audition.
- All audition rounds will be held behind a screen.
- The Audition Committee reserves the right to dismiss immediately any candidate not meeting the highest professional standards at these auditions.
- Clean copies of music will be provided on stage. You may use your own copies of the audition repertoire. You may also use a tablet device, such as an iPad, which must be placed on airplane mode during the audition. The use of any metronome function and/or tuning meter on a tablet during the audition is prohibited. This will be monitored by the audition proctor on stage.
- Musicians hired by the New Jersey Symphony are responsible for having and maintaining authorization to be employed in the United States of America.
- Should you pass into the Super-Final round, you will be invited to play a week with the Symphony. The weeks for a Super-Final round would be:
February 28 – March 3, 2024
March 12 – 17, 2024
The Symphony will coordinate scheduling with Super-Final candidates.
Section Bass audition candidates must comply with all current New Jersey Symphony Safety Protocols, which are subject to change before the audition. Updates will be sent to all candidates as they occur.
- NJPAC is located in Newark, NJ. The address is 1 Center St, Newark, NJ 07102.
- Parking Garages are located across the street from NJPAC ($13 - $18 charge).
- A list of recommended hotels will be sent by email along with your scheduled audition time and date.
- If you are traveling by air for the audition, the closest airport is Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
- Minimum Weekly Salary: $1,466.31
- Length of Season: 29 Weeks (including two (2) weeks of paid vacation, up to one (1) additional week of vacation services and up to seventeen (17) Community Partners Program services ($286.26 per service).
- Electronic Media: An EMG payment in the amount of $111.31 is added to the minimum weekly salary
- Health Insurance
- Instrument Insurance
Questions about the application may be sent to Adria Benjamin, Orchestra Personnel Manager:
The New Jersey Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and values diversity, equity and inclusion in all forms.
New Jersey Symphony is proud to be a partner orchestra of the National Alliance for Audition Support (NAAS).