Assistant Principal Second Violin & Violin Section (2 Section Positions)
Deadline to Apply: On or before December 5, 2022
- Preliminary Round: Saturday, January 7, 2023
Monday, January 9, 2023
Tuesday, January 10, 2023
- Semi-Final Round: Wednesday, January 11, 2023
- Final Round: Thursday, January 12, 2023
ALL ROUNDS WILL BE HELD AT New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC): 1 Center St, Newark, NJ 07102
Dates of Employment
Employment will begin as soon as the winner’s availability and the New Jersey Symphony schedule allow.
Applicants must submit two versions of your resumé as detailed below. Please submit both versions by uploading each as instructed on the application link below.
- A one-page resumé which includes your contact info (name, email address, physical address and phone number), as well as relevant work experience and education, including date.
- A second version of your resumé with your name, email address, physical address and phone number removed. This redacted version is given to the Audition Committee for screening purposes.
Download the Audition List and Excerpt Packet
- Please note that there is one audition list and excerpt packet for both auditions (Assistant Principal Second Violin and Section Violin)
Please Note the Following:
- Audition invitations are sent by email, typically within ten days after the resumé deadline. Once invitations are sent, a $100 refundable deposit check will be required to reserve an audition, details to follow.
- Candidates must show a photo ID upon check-in at the audition.
- Please await confirmation of your audition before making travel plans.
- All audition rounds will be held behind a screen.
- The Audition Committee reserves the right to dismiss immediately any candidate not meeting the highest professional standards at these auditions.
- Clean copies of music will be provided on stage. You may use your own copies of the audition repertoire. You may also use a tablet device, such as an iPad, which must be placed on airplane mode during the audition. The use of any metronome function and/or tuning meter on a tablet during the audition is prohibited. This will be monitored by the audition proctor on stage.
- Musicians hired by the New Jersey Symphony are responsible for having and maintaining authorization to be employed in the United States of America.
- Should you pass into the Super-Final round, you will be invited to play a week with the Symphony. The weeks for a Super-Final round would be:
January 25 – 29, 2023
March 1 – 5, 2023
March 14 – 19, 2023
April 18 – April 23, 2023
The Symphony will coordinate scheduling with Super-Final candidates.
All Violin audition candidates must comply with all current New Jersey Symphony Safety Protocols, which are subject to change before the audition. Updates will be sent to all candidates as they occur. Note that the protocol requires all audition candidates to be confirmed to be fully vaccinated. Please upload your proof of full vaccination and at least one booster as instructed on the application link.
- NJPAC is located in Newark, NJ. The address is 1 Center St, Newark, NJ 07102.
- A list of recommended hotels will be sent by email along with your scheduled audition time and date.
- If you are traveling by air for the audition, the closest airport is Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
Compensation for 2022-23 Season:
- Minimum Weekly Salary: $1,423.60
- Length of Season: 28 weeks, including 2 weeks of paid vacation and up to 17 Community Partner Program services (CP service pay is $278.50)
- Electronic Media: An EMG payment in the amount of $108.07 is added to the minimum weekly salary
- Health Insurance
- Instrument Insurance
Questions about the application may be sent to Adria Benjamin, Orchestra Personnel Manager: